Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Eye of Sauron Does Not Reach Wisconsin

In the home stretch now! The trip from Toledo to Madison was tough - all turnpikes and thunderstorms, with a migraine to boot. But I swear, once I crossed the Wisconsin state line, the storms moved on, there were no more tolls, and it was all green grass and blue sky. And since I'm judging the states I pass through by my experience on their interstates, Wisconsin feels like the holy land. Seriously, it was one big toll road from Breezewood, PA to the Wisconsin state line, which means I condemn all states in between, with the possible exception of Indiana, which was actually had pretty countryside and should have known better. Thank christ I filled up the EZPass before I left; they all take it.

I could see the Willis (used to be Sears but guess who reminded me of the name change) Tower from Hammond, Indiana, home of the Christmas Story (filmed in Cleveland but supposed to be set in Hammond), which is seems to be just an industrial suburb of Chicago.

In fact, when I crossed the "state" line, a huge sign told me "Welcome to Chicago! Mayor Rahm Emanuel," which told me "you're in Chicago, now, bitch. Better watch yourself. That "Illinois" shit can wait until you're well west of here." This Tower is so huge you can see it for dozens of miles, which is I guess the intent, but really, the antennae on top of it really should have an eye so Rahm can mayor with extreme malice. Huge traffic backup of course - the through-way to points west was through Chicago (who designed that??), so if I missed DC traffic, it was quickly resolved.



And guess what? The only car to cut me off in that was a silver Odyssey from..Maryland.

OK, John and Lil's flight on Perry the Puffin is in the air and I must breakfast and leave.






3 comments:

Jonathan Szczepanski said...

I think the other Odyssey was just looking for a traveling companion like Frodo and Sam.

Unknown said...

No, I think it recognized another Beltway car and chose to be an asshole. ; >

Unknown said...

No, I think it recognized another Beltway car and chose to be an asshole. ; >