Sunday, June 30, 2013

Yeah, They're Here.

After the 3rd long day of driving, I would have lost my mind were it not for books on CD. I listened to The Art of Racing in the Rain from Ohio to Chicago, which meant that I was bawling my eyes out through most of Chicago. More staid fare next in the form of Salt, Sugar, Fat, which is 15 (!!) CDs and I'm on #6. John says he's up for it, but we'll see. But all the soda talk made me crave a Dr Pepper when I stopped for lunch (ha! it worked).

Wisconsin and Minnesota did not disappoint, as I saw lots of rolling hills, few trucks (little traffic for that matter), and hundreds of miles of straightaways. Plus I crossed what I believe are the headwaters (?) of the Mississippi on the Minnesota border.


The landscape started to even out after that, though.... the rolling farmland started to morph to prairie (starting = in the next 300 miles). 

And I'm glad John insisted on going to Falls Park... that was pretty cool. Like a miniature Great Falls in the middle of the city. Lily got to work out energy not spent sitting on planes, and I got the first vacation-like experience since I left 3 days ago.

And of course the weather was perfect.


More adventures await today... once they wake up.

2 comments:

Jonathan Szczepanski said...

Where is Falls Park?

Unknown said...

Jonathan - there are actually falls in Sioux Falls... for some reason I wasn't expecting that. It was like a Great Falls in the middle of the city.